Thursday, July 30, 2015

Rhythm and Meter Question

Hi everyone. Class today was a lot of fun and was inspiring and helpful. But I was disappointed I didn't have my notebook to take down some of the interesting information on rhythms and meter. Is there some type of overarching key word that I could use to look up further information on this? I have looked up "Iambic pentameter" and "Dactylic pentameter" but do you know what I could look up to find a list of meters like these or further information on this? Any good book resources or videos? I found this site that seemed to be helpful:

It's a glossary of poetic terms: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/learning/glossary-terms?category=rhythm-and-meter

I'm also trying to remember what we covered in class. We covered Iambic and Dactylic, did we cover something else and what was it? Also, I wanted to ask but I forgot, the two beats in a row - what is that called? I think it started with an "S" but I am not sure. Thanks for reading my post!

4 comments:

  1. spondee and trochee are the other two mentioned in class today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee, I had the same feeling afterward that I wished I had had my notebook nearby to jot some notes about the exercises we were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good link, Aimee. Try a hand at the different forms and see if you can get them in your ear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your comments! I will try what you suggested, David! And thanks Cynthia for helping fill in the blanks for what I was missing from class and couldn't remember.

    ReplyDelete