Thursday, July 16, 2015

Discipline (or the lack thereof)

So I've been reading Smith's book (which, I know, is not a text for this class, but still) and the chapter about discipline hit me hard, though not as hard as our exercises today. This routine, which appears to be relatively easy to the rest of you, is kicking my butt! It's like a world class, iron-man, Mr. Universe workout. And it reminded me of this chapter in Smith's book, discipline . . . as in, I don't have any. I am a very sedentary beast (as you can usually tell from my belly) and so this time at ETSU has been kind of hard. After now being acclimatized to nice, flat locales, I'm once more thrust along these steep, hilly paths to and from class, as well as the yoga move which is eating my lunch.

Despite this, I realize that I need some serious discipline. I need to become more disciplined with my body, feeding it and exercising it correctly so that if such a class ever comes up again, no one has to listen to me grunt through the exercises like I am bench-pressing a 300lb barbell!

But I also need some mental discipline. Being out of school in a while has gotten me out of the habit of reading. Well, lets face it, even being in school but burnt out on academics has gotten me out of the habit. But this habit is forced back upon me as it is a requirement but also because there's not much else to do in our little studio apartment on campus. Now I just got to work on getting to bed at a decent hour . . . we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your pain, Dwayne. Right now my back is in agony from laying on the floor for the yoga exercises. I do enjoy walking and exercising, but hard floors totally make my back cramp up. I am not sure that discipline is what is needed to get past that. Rather I think it is possible to modify the relaxation/ warmups to suit your body (or in my case, my body).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that your back has been feeling better. Yeah, my "pain" is strictly from a sedentary lifestyle and it wasn't pain pain it was burn pain. I feel the burn. The hard floor doesn't bother me that much thanks, perhaps, to the rock-hard firmness of the mattress I slept on during most of my childhood?

    ReplyDelete