Monday, July 27, 2015

LOVE to braid!

I loved learning how to braid as a young girl.  There were so many possibilities for fabulous hairstyles for my dolls, sisters and ME!  I learned to braid traditionally.  I learned how to "fishbone braid".  I learned how to "french braid."   All of these styles offered different styles for different situations.

This is how I feel about learning to "braid" our stories together in class.  It is beautiful, stylistic, and provides many more options for thinking about and sharing stories.  I have been hesitant or unsure about how to use traditional tales to address personal/today concerns.  Our work on Friday and today helped me think about this in new ways.


2 comments:

  1. What is it about the braiding that is so pleasing, so satisfying? Is it the surprises, the paths that become uncovered or revealed that previously were hidden? Is it the discoveries? That seems to be only authentically possible when we are in community i don't see how this can be done in our creative work cubicles. One idea connects to another, one person connects to another.

    In the process, is there a way to have it come together ultimately - like a daughter's hair style when you tie it off at the end. How do we know we are finished if there was not a time constraint?

    The questioning story is so rich. Such a valuable process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tzitel I enjoyed your post and the way that you described the benefits of story braiding. I feel the same way! I always enjoy hearing all of the different thoughts and ideas everyone brings to the circle about the stories we adventure through. Thanks for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete