Tuesday, July 14, 2015




As a teacher, I believe there is great value in creating an environment of predictability in performance-based classes.  The clear expectation of doing physical, vocal and mental warm-ups at the beginning of each session creates a sense of order in a space where people will be asked to take risks and be vulnerable with their peers.  

I incorporate similar physical, vocal and mental warm-ups for my students in my public speaking classes on days that they give speeches.  These warm-up routines benefit both speaker and the listener.  The speaker is able to work off any extra adrenaline that may be affecting his/her body, while the listener is using the time to center him/herself in order to be fully present.

So in a sense, I am "at home" with our Storyteller Gym class because the routine is welcome and familiar.

1 comment:

  1. I am interested to hear if your physical, vocal and mental warm-ups differ in any way from the ones we have done in class. What have you adjusted to fit your students that we might learn from,too?

    ReplyDelete