Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Day 2 Consonance & Vowels

While talking with our daughter Leisel after class yesterday she commented that I seemed really energized. I told her about Storytelling Gym and she considered it to be a very interesting way to learn in a college class. I felt as though the wheels in my head were turning more freely.

I had not considered before the intellectual sounds of consonance verses the emotional sounds of vowels. I did find the readings from Jack London, William Shakespeare, and Kenneth Graham's The Wind In the Willows a pleasurable and memorable experiment with intellectual consonance, emotional vowels, and vocal expression with breathing placement.

I feel that the brain calisthenics in class leave those muscles feeling as energized as my body does after the yoga and breathing exercises. The weight lifting play with words and sounds (sitting or stretched out on a mat) leaves my brain feeling fitter and stronger, my thoughts a little clearer.
Thank you

5 comments:

  1. I agree 100%! I really enjoyed reading your post, Wenny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a side note Wenny my sister is also a Liesel. However, I am always surprised in classes I have taken at ETSU to realize how much I didn't learn or realize in my first round of schooling. I had never heard that vowels were connected with emotion. This is food for thought I have been chewing on.

      Delete
  2. Thank you ladies. I really feel like I am growing in this program as I connection more with my fellow students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should have been "...as I connect more..." sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a gentle correction: "Consonance" means "agreement or compatibility between opinions or actions." "Consonants" are letters other than vowels. My own articulation has not made the distinction clear. "s" v "ts"

    ReplyDelete